Starts:07 June 2012
Royal Visit 2012
Their Royal Highnesses, The Earl and Countess of Wessex visited Gibraltar as part of Her Majesty the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations. The Royal Couple were met by His Excellency the Governor and the Chief Minister before driving to R.A.F Gibraltar to inspect a Tri-Service Guard of Honour and visited the Headquarters of the British Forces on the Rock.
During their stay, the Royal Couple assisted in laying the foundation stone for the Diamond Jubilee Monument on Line Wall Road where it overlooks the site of the new Jubilee Commonwealth Park. On the second day of their visit, Their Royal Highnesses drove to the Upper Rock to stop at Queen’s Lookout where they met several local people involved with Her Majesty the Queen’s last visit in 1954 during her tour of the Commonwealth.
At a visit to the naval base, Hawk and Tucano aircraft from the R.A.F. conducted a series of fly pasts. Commemorating Her Majesty’s birthday, The Royal Couple attended the Queen’s Birthday Parade in Casemates Square which was followed by the Queen’s Birthday Party at the Convent.
The Earl and Countess were able to meet a cross-section of people from amongst the community, and presented local youngsters with Duke of Edinburgh awards. They later met with various religious leaders. Before departing Gibraltar during this historic visit, the Earl and Countess were taken to the new airport building where they inaugurated and named the viewing terrace as the ‘Diamond Jubilee Terrace’ and the general aviation areas as the ‘Wessex Lounge’.
Finally, the Chief Minister, on behalf of the people of Gibraltar, made a presentation to The Earl of Wessex of a replica of the Keys of Gibraltar. The presentation was made in front of a photograph of Her Majesty the Queen touching the real keys of Gibraltar during the course of her visit in 1954.